Xionic Madness Xionic Madness

O.O

Holy hell, now THAT was a flash animation! Sheer awesomeness incarnate! I love your character's combinations of stereotypes and originality. (Cyborg ninja! W000000000000000000000t!) For the love of a god, make the second one soon! (But not too soon, don't want it to be rushed, you know. ;D)

It had it's errors, sure, but almost all of them were dialogue-based, which can be fixed, and overlooked as well.

Awesome, awesome, awesome, video. Seriously, you win the internet. All of it. Forever. =D

~C~M~

TSAH TSAH

Lol

My friend showed me this and we were cracking up the whole time!

Decline of Video Gaming Decline of Video Gaming

Great

I love it! Nice work.

MIRC MIRC

An ingenous new idea paired with a familar one.

Hard? Pshh, I got to level 45 on my first try.

This game was a refreshingly new idea, and I had a blast when I played it, and will likely play it again later (which is big for me). Good idea to use the classic three-base against missiles concept, it kept an new idea feeling familiar, which is important.

The reverse polarity missiles were a godsend. So many times I would have about twenty five missiles inches from my last remaining base, and would accidentally hit one, and wipe the whole screen clear.

I honestly can't find much criticism for this, other then lack of content, which is perfectly understandable for the first game of this sort. Maybe consider a sequel, with more power ups, possibly different types of cubes, and perhaps a way to regain lost bases over time? Just some ideas.

- CoolioBeat 2 - - CoolioBeat 2 -

Flawed, but a great job nonetheless.

It'd be great, if it weren't for the fact that for a couple of songs, you simplify the beat, and even worse, for many, you go up when the notes go down or vice-versa (most apparent during the last song). Being a musician and hardcore Guitar Hero-er, this bugged me a lot.

Also, you had measure lines, and yet the notes did not follow them at all. What's up with that?

Criticism aside, it was a good game. As a suggestion, allow for both right and left clicking for strumming, as that would allow for faster strumming (similar to up-and-down strumming in Guitar Hero).

C~M
(Whoo! Surface! Go Dimrain! Try Infernoplex or the end section of Operation: Evolution with the guitar solos next. They're a bit more hardcore.)

Ball Revamped 4 Ball Revamped 4

About 45 minutes burned. Whee!

I'm tired, so I'll make this quick.

This was easily the most fun of the Ball Revamped games, and a number of power ups were genius.

The screen flipper was awesome. I would see a whole game based around that.
The dynamite was meh, I didn't like waiting to the end then slipping up and dying.
The Lightning Switch felt kinda lame and unfun.
Speed changes, no gravity, wood chopper thing, and such were all enjoyable and good additions.
The bosses were too easy, thanks to having infinite lives. Perhaps make bosses a weird combination between obstacle corpses and what they are now? Food for thought.
The levels felt easier then the first of your games. I like a really good challenge (My heart broke when my Devil May Cry 3 disk got too scratched =P), so see if you can get level 80-100 to be crazy hard. Makes winning all the more rewarding.

9/10, because nothing is perfect.

The AfroBlues The AfroBlues

Well, you asked for it. *Cracks knuckles*

You want reviews, hm? Well, lucky for you, I happen to have heard quite a bit in the Jazz/Blues section, despite my main area being Techno.

Let's pick this apart. First off, I'll say that your instrumentation is very original, but the quality of the noise is a tad low. I'm getting "crackly" noises here and there you can do without.

The guitar - Great tone, this just makes me happy to listen to whenever it kicks in and plays a melody of some sort. Very laid-back, upbeat, and in-general blues like. Good work here.

Bassline - Eh, I'll tell you now that I have heard this bassline so many times, any original feeling of coolness it might of had is long gone. For a first try in the genre, it's somewhat acceptable, but my favorite baselines have always been when the artists brought out something completely new and creative, but keeping the upbeat feel of the classic.

Distorted - Type Guitar Thingy (Or whatever you call it) - Interesting, I have to say, but I got tired of that one chord that every little lick of it ends on preeety dang fast. In addition, it was a very repetitious melody. It is my strict opinion that nothing should repeat more then twice without throwing something new in the mix or changing the notes/rhythm up enough to keep it interesting.

Drums - I barely remember who I wrote the review for now, but I know I went on a 1000+ character rant for someone's song, directed straight at the drums. Even more then many other genres, Jazz/Blues songs have VERY alive drums beats. I did notice you changed it up here and there, but in general here's a word. In Jazz/Blues, the bass is there to keep the rhythm, and the drums are there to fill in the gaps that the other instruments leave. Look for holes in your music, where none of the instruments are really moving, and drop a drum lick in there; trust me, it'll make the song twice as good.

I have to say though, on the matter of drums, you're a lot better then most techno artists. Just a little more action, and it should greatly improve the quality.

Overall, it's good, but not good enough. Keep it up, you'll get better, trust me. (Seriously, take a look at those really good authors out there right now. I used to think In Dream was phenomenal, but they just keep getting more awesome.)

6.7 out of 10. Rounds up to 7. Above middle-quality, below perfection.

Since I'm here, and have 1,700 characters left, I'll throw a few tips at you.

------ A couple weeks after making a song, maybe more, listen to it AT LEAST 50 times. In a row. Trust me, you WILL find the flaws. =D

------ EVERY instrument in a song should be playing an important role, and overall add to the mood of the song. For a good example, look at XsToRmEr1's "Moonlit Night," and note how in my review, I point out that every instrument in there weaves more and more, to create an image of sitting out in the wilderness, relaxing on the grass, and staring up at the night sky.

------ A score is a score, and nothing more. Do not take a number to mean much of anything about a song, ever. It is similar to rating school children with a letter, and believing that it determines all of their intellect and potential. The only people who actually believe this are stuffy white-shirt black-tie people. It's ALL in the review. Note, this goes both ways. 0's are often unjust, and no song is perfect enough to actually get a 10/10.

In other news, my hands are getting tired. Signing off,

%u2022C~M%u2022

AfroShine responds:

yes! just what I wanted, I actually smiled when I read your review because it was very helpful. Yea I know the baseline melody was overused. Basically reviews like this help me improve, this is exactly what I wanted. thank you.

Operation: Evolution Operation: Evolution

Wow.

This song is not epic. This song is BEYOND epic. Dimrain, you are like a combination of pure own, pwn, ninja, epic-ness, and all other things good. It's hard to believe how much you've improved, considering how good you were from the start (I still listen to In Dream often), and this. Hell, this is crazy, it's like you took the stereotypical "Chorus-Solo-Chorus-Solo-Chorus" style of Techno, and turned it into "Solo-Solo-Solo-Solo-Solo," and that is just pure win.

Opening (00:00 - 00:27) --- Okay, you start out with something fairly conventional, with swift, moving high notes that just seem to roll right into each other. Nothing much to notice here until 00:15, where that lower synth kicks in, and you've got two other synths as support, playing similar roles as a trombone (dramatic, slow, low notes building up) and trumpet (high, single "hit notes"), and this continues to build up and up. You've got me hooked right here in the first 30 seconds, and that's how every song should be. Rating: 9 out of 10.

Part One (00:27 - 00:52) --- Hm, I can't say I like the lead synth here, as it winds up being a bit too repetitive by the end, but your backgrounds are great. The base-like noise that hits the off-beats has a powerful effect, and for perhaps the first time, you're really starting to learn how to use drums to their full extent. Rating: 7 out of 10.

Guitar Solo (00:53 - 01:15) -- Fist off, you realized that in this one guitar solo, you hopped across three different music styles? You start out fairly dramatic-ish (in fact, I here the Jurassic Park theme once here =P) then jump to this jumpy, overly-happy piece (excellent use of drums here, by the way) that will instantly brighten just about anyone's mood. Then, you slide over to this piece with a symphony-feel to it. Again, I love your drums now (most songs with drums make me wince in pain, as the drums have no musical quality to them). Rating: 9 out of 10.

Fun with Echoes (1:15 - 1:39) --- This part is also pretty dang bright. You keep the background "strings" there, which is good, and then you bounce back and forward between those two synths, creating an impressive echo effect, common in music, but rarely seen on Newgrounds. Then you finish with a good fade, and even more good drum parts. Rating: 8 out of 10.

Peacetime (1:39 - 2:15) --- Here, you do an incredible job of fading in between just about every instrument in the song, and form a very ambient, flowing atmosphere. I like the piano, as I hadn't noticed it until this point, and it gives a little surprise value, and it's surprises that make the song best the first time you here it. Rating: 9 out of 10.

Basstime (2:15 - 2:49) --- This part of the song jumps off with that crazy fall there, then slips into another little piano piece, with something that sounds like Cloud Control in the background, another fall, and then BAM! Bass! And of course, the bass solo absolutely kicks ass, and even more so when the other instruments come into support it. Bravo man. Rating: 9 out of 10.

Cotton-Eye Joe on Crack (2:49 - 3:28) --- No, seriously, you take this perfectly ordinary, ambient string of fast notes, and turn it into something along the same lines as Cotton-Eye Joe. You're damn scary, dude. Not only that, you take a sci-fi sounding thing, and then do the same thing with that! Wow. Rating: 9 out of 10.

Kickass Mode: Engage (3:28 - 4:15) --- And this is where everything starts going awesome. Words cannot describe this, but let's just say this is about as close to perfect I've ever seen a song get. Rating: 10 out of 10.

Guitar Solo: Take Two? (4:15 - 4:29) --- Infernoplex wasn't enough, REM wasn't enough, the first damn solo in this wasn't enough. However, this solo took everything you've ever done good, and put it together into... damn, that's amazing. Rating: %u221E out of 10.

Finale (4:21 - 5:05) --- And it ends. Nothing much to say about this finale, except that it does an impressive job of not sucking right after something so awesome. Rating: 8 out of 10.

Overall rating: 9 out of 10.

Crystal~Myr

Cerebral Infection Cerebral Infection

Hm...

I dislike DnB, but that's my personal preference, and I can easily see why this is a good song among it's genre. Though it a was a bit on the repetitive side, I suppose most DnB's are, so that's ok. I loved those little pauses every few seconds where the synth would make that "whooop" sound, they made me just that much happier every time I heard them, so that was cool.

I can't honestly give a full-fledged review for this, but my only recommendation for this song (and all of your songs, for that matter, is to increase the variety in your drums more, as it adds greatly to the atmosphere of the song if you pull it off correctly.

Other then that, though, keep making songs, Dimrain, and I'll be patiently waiting for the day you choose to go back to your roots and make a homage to those crazy fast strings of notes you would always make in your songs like In Dream. In the meantime, while you're being original, still, I'd like more guitar, 'cause your guitar solos rock.

Keep it up, you're awesome, man.